Four die in landslides in Mizoram
Aizawl: Four people were killed and several places remained inaccessible due to road blockade caused by landslides since Thursday as heavy rains lashed Mizoram since Wednesday night, police said.
The driver and operator of an excavator and the driver of a private vehicle were killed following a massive landslide near Dapchhuah village on Mizoram-Tripura border Mamit district last evening.
While the body of Nasim Uddin, working under Muzir Uddin, operator of the excavator, was found, the search for the bodies of Muzir Uddin and Lalnunsiama, the driver of the vehicle, was on.
Muzir Uddin and Nasim Uddin were clearing the debris on the road when another massive landslide occurred killing them. Meanwhile, Lalnunsiama, who had boarded the excavator while waiting for the road to be cleared, was also killed as the excavator was swept off the road in the landslide, police said.
In another incident, an excavator met with an accident near Kawnpui town in Kolasib district yesterday in which the operator Ramdinthara was killed on the spot. The National Highway 54 linking Aizawl with the rest of the country was blocked in many places especially near Kawnpui due to the heavy landslide.
Power supply and telecommunication were also disrupted in many places due to heavy rainfall and landslides triggered by incessant downpour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- 'Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa' reintroduced me to entertainment industry: Shamita Shetty
- Cairn tax dispute: India has to respond by Nov on $5.6 bn compensation demand, says CEO
- Vladimir Putin calls ban on Russia's Paralympic team inhumane
- Government should act on its words on Kashmir, says Congress
- Temples lit up for Janmashtami celebrations in Madhya Pradesh