Four explosives recovered, two held in Assam
Guwahati: Police and security forces in Assam have recovered at least three crude bombs and one Improvised Explosive Device (IED) and arrested two people from different places of the state in the run-up to the Republic Day celebrations.
The IED was recovered Tuesday from Dhubri district in the western part of Assam that shares an international border with Bangladesh. The device was located when Border Security Force (BSF) men, acting on a tip-off, carried out a search operation on a country boat.
"We received a specific tip-off that explosives were being transported by river and carried out the search," said a source in the BSF on the condition of anonymity.
The IED, which weighed around 2.1 kg, was recovered along with a six-volt battery. The two persons arrested for carrying the IED have been identified as Mohammed Hamidul Islam and Moidul Islam. Two mobiles phones and three SIM cards have also been found in their possession, the source added.
BSF guards also recovered three crude bombs, each weighing about 1.4 kg and three country-made pistols from another boat in the New Ghat area of the district Tuesday evening. No one, however, could be arrested for the second incident. "The carriers must have escaped sensing tight security arrangements," said a BSF officer.
On Monday, state police and the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) in a joint operation also recovered a huge quantity of explosives, including ammonium nitrate and detonators from a house in Hajo, located near Assam`s main city of Guwahati. The seized explosives included 38 detonators and 50 kg of ammonium nitrate, police sources said Wednesday.
The recovery of bombs assumes significance as militant outfits of the northeast region, including the anti-talks faction of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA), have called for a boycott of the Republic Day and a general shut-down Jan 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!