Four GNLA cadres killed on Assam-Meghalaya border
Guwahati: Four members of the militant group Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) were killed in a gun battle with security forces in East Garo Hills district of Meghalaya on the Assam-Meghalaya border early Thursday, an official said.
Two of the slain cadres were identified as Ringrang alias Danny Momin and Rakban alias Philipol Shira, police said, adding that the other two cadres were yet to be identified.
"We launched an operation at Mongphangro village, 22 km from Mendipathar police station late Wednesday night. We had specific information that a group of 15 cadres of the outfit were hiding in the village," an officer said, adding that the militants fired at the police team forcing them to retaliate.
In the ensuing gun battle, four militants were gunned down while the rest of the group managed to escape.
An AK-47 was recovered from the slain cadres, said the officer.
Operations are on to trace the other GNLA members, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra