Four GNLA militants arrested near Indo-Bangla border
Shillong: Four Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) militants were arrested by security forces near the Indo-Bangladesh border in Meghalaya’s East Khasi Hills district and West Garo Hills districts since Saturday, officials said on Monday.
Acting on a tip off, the Border Security Force deployed along the international border launched a special operation and nabbed one Dawin N Sangma (40), believed to be an active militant from Dangar area of the district last night, they said.
Subsequently, acting on the lead provided by Sangma, a joint operation was launched with the state police commandoes apprehended Suresh S Sangma (20) at around mid night, BSF spokesperson Ravi Gandhi said.
Both are residents of greater Mawsynram areas in East Khasi Hills district.
Security forces recovered two cell phones without SIM card and about Rs 700 cash from their possession.
Preliminary investigation revealed that both were involved in a number of extortion and other militant-related activities, the BSF official said.
Meanwhile, security forces in the state also arrested two hardcore GNLA cadre, including a deputy area commander of the outfit, identified as Brightwell Arengh and Napsen Marak, in the state’s West Garo Hills district late Saturday night.
An AK-47 riffle, 55 rounds of live ammunition and communication equipment were seized from their hideouts, police said.
The GNLA is an outlawed organisation predominantly having its operation in at least five western Garo Hills districts in Meghalaya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Didn't have any confidence before 'Kick': Jacqueline Fernandez
- Oil Tankers Association calls off strike in Jammu ?
- French Chevalier award winner Kamal Haasan is Sivaji of our generation: Rajinikanth
- 'Mohenjo Daro' collections: Hrithik Roshan, Pooja Hegde's period drama rakes in Rs 55 cr so far!
- Japan protests to Russia over man detained on disputed island