Four GNLA rebels arrested in Meghalaya
Shillong: Four rebels of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) were arrested on Wednesday from two locations in the insurgency-hit Garo Hills region in Meghalaya.
Two rebels were arrested from Tura, the district headquarters of West Garo Hills, while the other two were nabbed in Ampati, the district headquarters of South West Garo Hills, police said.
Two pistols, two magazines, six cartridges and mobile phones were recovered from Goera D Sangma and Sengsal R Marak arrested from Tura, said Mukesh Kumar Singh, district police chief of West Garo Hills.
Singh said the duo had planned to carry out extortions and abductions for ransom in Tura.
Border Security Force troopers along with Meghalaya Police arrested Prethy M Sangma and Dina M Sangma from Kimdegre area in South West Garo Hills.
Police recovered two phones from their possession.
The GNLA, outlawed by the central government, forged an operational alliance with the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) and the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB), which provided it access to sophisticated arms and ammunition.
GNLA rebels, who number around 100, unleashed terror in three impoverished districts of Garo Hills in the past one year and killed over 50 people, including security personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you