Four injured in series of blasts in Manipur
Imphal: Four persons were injured when a series of bombs exploded in Manipur during Independence Day celebrations on Wednesday.
Official sources said the first explosion was reported from interior Thoubal district at a fair ground, near the district headquarters, at around 8 am while arrangements were being made to celebrate the occasion.
Four persons, identified as Y Manao Singh (52), Sanabanta Das (22), Akoijam Ongbi Sanajaobi Devi (55) and Ningombam Manisam Devi (65) were injured and taken to a nearby district hospital.
Their condition was stated to be critical, the sources said.
Three powerful bombs exploded in the capital complex here while Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh was giving his speech at the 1st Manipur Rifles parade ground where the main celebrations were taking place.
The ground is situated only about two kms away from the site of the bomb explosions.
The Chief Minister was appealing to insurgents to give up arms and join the national mainstream by participating in the development process.
Sources said a powerful bomb, allegedly planted by the insurgents at the side of busy road at Sagolband in the capital complex, was apparently set off by using a remote-controlled device at around 9 am, damaging the wall of a nearby house.
They said the bomb might have been planted to attack security personnel who used the road often to go to CRPF headquarters at Langjing, about 6 kms west of here.
Ten minutes later, another powerful bomb exploded at a place on Minuthong bridge on Imphal river in the capital complex, sources said.
Official reports from Thoubal district said minutes after the bomb explosion at Mela ground, police and paramilitary forces, including Assam Rifles personnel, surrounded nearby suspected areas and rounded up several persons.
All the detained were later freed after proper verification, the reports said. Passers-by at isolated places were also checked to detect movement of ultras who sneaked into nearby interior areas after the explosion, reports said.
The third explosion occurred in the Mahabali Temple complex, about one and a half kms from the parade ground of 1st Manipur Rifles, at around 9.45 am, the sources said.
A major portion of the fencing wall of the temple was destroyed in the explosion.
No one was injured in the three explosions.
The police and security forces stepped up patrolling after the explosions at the capital complex and blocked all exit points to prevent escape of suspected insurgents who exploded the bombs.
Several areas were searched, but no arrest was made, the sources said. All police and security posts were given a red-alert signal to intensify security measures and patrol within their jurisdictions.
Official reports said Independence day was celebrated amid tight security deployment at all district headquarters peacefully.
Ibobi Singh in his speech further said there was no room for violence in a democratic country like India and asked the insurgents to sit for dialogue and discussion.
Major insurgent organisations, including United National Liberation Front, Revolutionary People`s Front, People`s Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak, and Kanglei Yawol Kann Lup had earlier called for boycott of Indpendence Day celebrations, saying Manipur was "forcibly merged" with the Union in 1949.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview