Four Maoists killed in Assam encounter
New Delhi: In a major development, the security forces on Wednesday killed four Maoist rebels in a fierce encounter that took place in a remote village of Assam`s Tinsukia district.
A constable, identified as Achinta Das, was also critically wounded in the operation and he has been taken to the Assam College Hospital at Dibrugarh for treatment.
A regional commander of Maoists, identified as Sanjeev Borah, who was entrusted with the task of setting up a Maoist base in Assam, was also killed in the operation.
The massive operation was undertaken following a tip-off about the presence of a group of Maoists at Deopani Borgora village under Sadiya police station.
The security forces then launched an operation in the area and in the ensued encounter four Maoists were killed.
Search operations are continuing in the area and huge quantities of arms including AK-47 rifles and hand grenades have been recovered from them.
The killing comes days after intelligence agencies warned that the Maoists are expanding their operations in the state and fast increasing the number of their cadres.
The intelligence agencies also warned that the Maoists have formed Revolutionary People`s Guerrilla Army in Assam to fight the government. They have established civil and publicity wings to recruit poor and unemployed youth of the state.
Most of their activities are restricted to Dhemaji, Lakhimpur, Jorhat, Tinsukia and Dibrugarh districts of Upper Assam. High-ranking Maoist officials reportedly often visit Assam to monitor the expansion work, the report claimed .
Home Minister P Chidambaram and Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi have also acknowledged the growing threat posed by the Maoists to the country’s internal security.
The security forces were consequently alerted and patrolling and manning of the border areas have been increased.
The government is also in the process of deploying more paramilitary companies and implementation of integrated action plan in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read