Fowl culling on in Meghalaya district
Shillong: More than 4600 fowls from 25
villages of East Garo Hills district in Meghalaya were completely wiped off to contain the spread of bird-flu, officials said here Wednesday.
"We expect to cross the 5000 mark today when culling
operation is left in only two villages within 3 km from the
epi-centre," state`s veterinary director L Lyngwa told reporters.
On Tuesday, 1222 fowls from four villages were culled
following stict guidelines from the Centre, he said.
A total of 4666 fowls were subjected to culling and
hygienically disposed off even as more than 1500 eggs were
destroyed in seven days of cleaning operation in East Garo
Hills district, including those from the government-run farm
where the disease broke a week ago.
Lyngwa was optimistic that culling operation will be
over by evening.
Earlier, the state government had projected that more
than 24,000 bird will face the knife in the area.
District administrator Pravin Bakshi said Rapid
Response Teams (RRT) will have to stay quarantined together at
a designated place in Williamnagar until January 28.
Around 15 temporary toilets, blankets, mattresses,
pick-up trucks, food, vehicles and earth movers have been
arranged for the culling and mopping operations.
The district, with a population density of 122
inhabitants per square kilometre, has a population of 3,17,618
persons as per 2011 census.
Bhopal-based High Security Animal Disease Laboratory
has confirmed that blood samples sent was detected with
bird-flu on January 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing