Fund implementation in NE not satisfactory: Parl panel
Shillong: Despite fund flow from the Centre, implementation in the Northeast is not satisfactory, a Parliamentary Standing Committee on Transport, Tourism and Culture has observed.
"While funds are being sanctioned, the implementation is not satisfactory as we would expect it to be," the committee`s chairman and Rajya Sabha MP Sitaram Yechury said
here last night.
The committee, comprising 11 MPs headed by Yechury, was in Shillong where they held review meetings and would later come up with recommendations to enhance the connectivity and tourism scenario in the region.
They had visited Assam and Mizoram and would be visiting Tripura next.
"The visit is a study to know as to how to develop the tourism scenario in the region and examine and tap the potentialities of the region. The tourism sector is not
growing as it should be," Yechury said underlining the economic benefits the sector can give to the region.
On the poor implementation of funds in north east, Yechury said, "There are some concrete problems. Firstly, you have a six-month working season in the region due to bad weather,
while the rest of India has 12 months. Then there are problems of connectivity.”
He said the richness of diversity of the region is integral for the evolution of India.
The committee, which held meetings with various agencies like NHAI, ASI, BRO, Pavan Hans, etc, will seek to address the issues plaguing the region.
It will prepare a report and submit to the Parliament, Yechury said adding that the Centre has assured that it would be liberal in sanctioning projects proposed by the state
Yechury suggested that tourism ministers of the north-eastern region should have better coordination so that tourist circuits can be evolved to boost the sector.
"No tourists come to the region to visit one state. We have to have coordination among all the states," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics