Gangtok: With the September 19 earthquake in
Sikkim leaving many houses damaged, the Urban Development and Housing Department has suggested that funds be provided to house owners for carrying out demolition on their own.
According to a notice by the Sikkim government, the damaged buildings were at risk of
collapsing as was the case with one at Singtam, about 30 km from
here, four months after the quake.
UDHD sources said that the biggest problem was the significant monetary expense to be incurred by house owners to bring down their structures.
On the other hand, demolition by the UDHD was a time consuming process and the department was unable to take up
demolition of the large number of houses that had been issued
The Department, the sources said, has, therefore, placed a proposal with the state government suggesting that monetary assistance be provided to house owners for undertaking demolition on their own.
The department would provide any technical assistance if
necessary, they said.
The department, after overseeing the demolition of some structures in Gangtok, discovered that it would be impossible
for it to continue with the demolition of all buildings marked
to be taken down throughout the state.