Funds will not be a constraint for Arunachal: Chidambaram
Tawang (Arunachal): Union Home Minister P
Chidambaram on Friday said funds would not be a constraint for
development of Arunchal Pradesh and advised the Dorjee Khandu
government to take up need-based schemes as per people`s
"There will be no dearth of funds for this land-locked
state. But there must be clarity in all projects and schemes
to be implemented," Chidambaram said while addressing
district officials here.
"Arunachal shares a special place in our hearts and we
will always pay attention for its development at par with
other developed states of the country," the home minister
Exhorting officials to properly monitor all projects
in the state, the home minister stressed on maintaining
accountability and transparency on funds spent.
Chidambaram who arrived here accompanied by Minister
of State for Planning V Narayanswamy in an IAF helicopter
inaugurated a ropeway connecting Tawang Monastery to Gyangong
Ani Gonpa. He also inaugurated the newly constructed District
"With the inauguration of the ropeway and the DC
office, a new era of development has started in this remote
district bordering China," he said.
The ropeway was constructed by the state PWD at a total
cost of Rs. 330.89 lakh. 90 per cent of the funds were
sanctioned by DoNER ministry under the non-lapsable central
The foundation stone of the ropeway was laid by former
president Dr A P J Abdul Kalam in October 2002.
The ropeway is 1,184 meter long with a difference of
164 meter between upper and lower terminals. Having a capacity
of carrying 8 people, the ropeway will take 8 minutes to cover
Responding to a memorandum demanding grant of a Rs 150
crore package for developing the district and preservation of
Bhoti language (spoken by Buddhist), Chidambaram promised to
take up the matter with respective ministries.
He also said efforts would be made for preservation of
Bhoti scripts in digitized form.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India