Gadkari, Varun visit Sankar Deb`s birth place
Batadrava (Assam): BJP president Nitin
Gadkari and national secretary Varun Gandhi on Wednesday visited the
birth place of Assam`s Vaishnavite saint Sri Sri Sankar Deb.
Driving straight from the Guwahati airport, the BJP
leaders sought blessings at the Batadrava Satra holy shrine.
They also looked around the shrine built at the birth
place of the 16th century social and religious reformer Sri
Sri Sankar Deb who laid the foundation for Assam`s literature,
culture, dance and music.
Gadkari and Gandhi were accompanied by BJP all India
general secretary Vijay Goel, Nagaon MP Rajen Gohain, Guwahati
MP Bijoya Chakraborty, state president Ranjit Dutta, besides
other party leaders.
They then drove to nearby Nagaon, home town of Asom Gana
Parishad (AGP) leader Prafulla Kumar Mahanta, where a public
rally would be held.
This is the first time the BJP is addressing a mass rally
in the state after the AGP severed its ties with the saffron
party after the seat sharing arrangement for next year`s
Assembly election failed.
Public meetings have also been organised today by the BJP
in various places of Morigaon, Sonitpur, Golaghat and Karbi
Anglong districts, party activists said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference