Garo militant group chairman gunned down
Shillong: Nikson G Momin, the self-styled `chairman` of Garo militant outfit Liberation Achik Elite Force (LAEF), was killed in an encounter with security forces in Meghalaya’s East Garo Hills district.
"A fierce encounter took place at Darugree at about 3 am in which Nikson alias Dilkam and his personal security officer Rakpat were killed by a special police team," Chief
Minister Mukul Sangma said.
Two pistols, a grenade and some documents were found from the slain rebels, he said in the Assembly.
The group has been engaged in extortion and kidnappings in the Garo hills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter