Garo militant group chairman gunned down
Shillong: Nikson G Momin, the self-styled `chairman` of Garo militant outfit Liberation Achik Elite Force (LAEF), was killed in an encounter with security forces in Meghalaya’s East Garo Hills district.
"A fierce encounter took place at Darugree at about 3 am in which Nikson alias Dilkam and his personal security officer Rakpat were killed by a special police team," Chief
Minister Mukul Sangma said.
Two pistols, a grenade and some documents were found from the slain rebels, he said in the Assembly.
The group has been engaged in extortion and kidnappings in the Garo hills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Real Estate Act, designed to protect consumer interest, comes into force from today
- What an idea! Here's why NCP workers in Maharashtra danced in 'Nagin' style - Watch video
- John Kerry to travel to Geneva on Sunday in show of support for Syria ceasefire: US
- Istanbul braces for police lockdown on May Day
- Jat leaders to hold ‘jail bharo’ movement in Haryana today, section 144 imposed in Jind