Garo militant leader attacked in jail
Shillong: The Garo militant leader Champion Sangma, who was lodged at the district jail here, was badly injured when he was attacked by fellow inmates today, officials said Wednesday.
Sangma, detained under the Meghalaya Prevention Detention Act (MPDA) for deserting the state police and joining the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA), was attacked by a group of fellow inmates at around 8 AM, Director General of Prison Kulbir Kishan said.
In the clash, three other inmates were also injured and all were shifted to the Shillong Civil Hospital.
An inquiry was instituted by the Department to probe the incident, Kishan said.
Established in 1895 under the erstwhile British government, the jail presently houses 320 inmates against the capacity of 150.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof