Garo rebel arrested in Shillong
Shillong: Security forces arrested a hardcore Garo rebel and his aide from an area near the Indo-Bangladesh border in Meghalaya’s South West Garo Hills district, officials said on Tuesday.
Mariours N Sangma was arrested last night from the Betasing-Binapara area, under Ampati PS, during a joint operation by commandoes of the BSF and the state police.
A country-made gun and ammunition were recovered from Sangma?s possession along with a mobile phone and camouflage uniforms.
During preliminary questioning, the rebel confessed that he was involved in a number of extortion cases and activity related to the militant organisation Garo National Liberation Army.
Later, on information provided by the arrested rebel, security forces apprehended a GNLA militant hailing from Ajangre village in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH