Garo rebel group threatens to break truce
Tura (Meghalaya): The Achik National
Volunteers Council (ANVC), a Garo rebel group under ceasefire
since 2004, has threatened to break the truce if the Centre
fails to come up with a `workable solution` to its demands.
"Though the Centre had in 2008 said the ceasefire
would be indefinite, last month they informed us that it would
be periodic. This is a violation of the earlier agreement,"
ANVC Publicity Secretary Arist Sangma told reporters here
Expressing reservation about the Centre?s `attitude`,
he said, "we have come down from our demand for separate
statehood to an autonomous council in the format of Bodoland
Territorial Council in Assam, which is very much
constitutional and acceptable. The government should state
clearly whether they want a solution or not."
The ANVC said it will seek public opinion on whether
to continue to the ceasefire or go back to the jungles.
The Centre had appointed former IB chief PC Haldar to
hold talks with the outfit which was informed by the
government representatives during a meeting last month that
the ceasefire will continue till March 31 next after which it
will be reviewed.
When asked, Meghalaya DGP SB Kakati said, "we are
monitoring the situation. It is a matter of concern, but I
think it can be sorted out."
"They (ANVC) are not happy with the treatment. (They
contend) Nothing has been said about the extension of the
ceasefire. But, I hope once the interlocutor meets them, the
situation should stabilise," Kakati told agency.
The ANVC, formed in 1995, had resorted to armed
struggle for a separate Garo state till it reached a
tripartite agreement with Centre and state on July 23, 2004.
In July, 2008, the Centre decided to extend the
ceasefire for an indefinite period.
In September last year, the group decided to keep its
demand for a separate state for Garos in abeyance for the time
being and instead put forward the demand for the creation of
Garoland Autonomous Council, an autonomous body, for all the
three districts of Garo Hills East, West and South for
It also submitted a memorandum to New Delhi, demanding
direct funding to the proposed council.
While around 80 cadre of the group are overground,
according to police there are also a few who have deserted the
outfit and are still in the jungles carrying arms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- One killed, 30 wounded by explosions in southern Thailand – police
- Iraq summons its envoy to Portugal over teenager assault
- Cara Delevingne, Amber Heard turned away from strip club
- Obama promises aid to help Louisiana fully recover from flooding
- US investigating non-travel Zika case in new area in Florida