Garo rebels fire at Meghalaya police commando team
Shillong: Garo militants fired at a team of Meghalaya Police commandos leading to a gunbattle in East Garo Hills district last night, but there was no casualty.
It was a chance encounter that took place at Baija, about 4 km from East Garo Hills district headquarter Williamnagar, when the Garo National Liberation Army militants were crossing the road, DIG G H P Raju said.
As the commandos of Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team bumped into them, the panicky militants fired, to which the commandos also retaliated.
The encounter took place at about 9 PM and there were some six militants who were engaged in the gunbattle, Raju said.
No one from either side suffered any injury, Raju said adding that militants managed to flee in the dark.
The two vehicles carrying SWAT commandos were moving to Williamnagar after undergoing training in Shillong. Reinforcements arrived from Williamnagar town to secure the area, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest