Garo rebels fire at Meghalaya police commando team
Shillong: Garo militants fired at a team of Meghalaya Police commandos leading to a gunbattle in East Garo Hills district last night, but there was no casualty.
It was a chance encounter that took place at Baija, about 4 km from East Garo Hills district headquarter Williamnagar, when the Garo National Liberation Army militants were crossing the road, DIG G H P Raju said.
As the commandos of Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team bumped into them, the panicky militants fired, to which the commandos also retaliated.
The encounter took place at about 9 PM and there were some six militants who were engaged in the gunbattle, Raju said.
No one from either side suffered any injury, Raju said adding that militants managed to flee in the dark.
The two vehicles carrying SWAT commandos were moving to Williamnagar after undergoing training in Shillong. Reinforcements arrived from Williamnagar town to secure the area, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news