Garo rebels fire at Meghalaya police commando team
Shillong: Garo militants fired at a team of Meghalaya Police commandos leading to a gunbattle in East Garo Hills district last night, but there was no casualty.
It was a chance encounter that took place at Baija, about 4 km from East Garo Hills district headquarter Williamnagar, when the Garo National Liberation Army militants were crossing the road, DIG G H P Raju said.
As the commandos of Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team bumped into them, the panicky militants fired, to which the commandos also retaliated.
The encounter took place at about 9 PM and there were some six militants who were engaged in the gunbattle, Raju said.
No one from either side suffered any injury, Raju said adding that militants managed to flee in the dark.
The two vehicles carrying SWAT commandos were moving to Williamnagar after undergoing training in Shillong. Reinforcements arrived from Williamnagar town to secure the area, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi