General strike cripples life in Manipur
Imphal: A 12-hour general strike, called by a local committee, today crippled normal life in Manipur with markets, educational institutions closed and vehicular traffic remaining off the roads in nine districts of the state, official reports said.
Transport services within Manipur and its neighbouring states were suspended in response to the strike called by the Committee on Protection of Land in Border Fencing (CPLBF) in protest of wooden fencing at `undemarcated` areas along the Indo-Myanmar border in Chandel district, they said.
Police and para-military forces have been deployed to prevent any untoward incidents during the strike, which was supported by several NGOs and social organisations.
Sources said if the erection of wooden fencing at the "undemarcated areas" was not stopped, around 43 villages with more than 18,000 inhabitants in the three districts of Chandel, Churachandpur and Ukhrul would fall within the territory of the neighbouring country.
Incidentally, the state government had written to the Prime Minister and Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde to re-survey some areas along Indo-Myanmar border in the Chandel district following the allegation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what