Girl students in Manipur asked not to wear uniforms above knee
Imphal: Girls in Manipur have been directed by some student organisations not to wear uniforms above the knee and avoid using mobile phones in schools and colleges.
Six student bodies issued this diktat today that sought to prohibit school and college students from wearing "indecent dresses".
They said girl students should wear the Manipuri ankle length dress `Phanek` and under no condition uniforms above the knee would be tolerated.
The use of mobile phones during school or college hours would also not be allowed.
The student bodies including All Manipur Students Union, Democratic Students Alliance of Manipur and Manipur Students Federation formed a coordination committee to launch the drive, a joint statement said here.
Sale of intoxicating substances at academic institutions would also be banned, the statement said.
In 2001, Manipuri rebel group KYKL, fighting for an independent homeland for the predominantly Hindu Metei community, had warned that women of the state who do not wear the traditional sarongs called `Phaneks` could face a death penalty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder