Girl students in Manipur asked not to wear uniforms above knee
Imphal: Girls in Manipur have been directed by some student organisations not to wear uniforms above the knee and avoid using mobile phones in schools and colleges.
Six student bodies issued this diktat today that sought to prohibit school and college students from wearing "indecent dresses".
They said girl students should wear the Manipuri ankle length dress `Phanek` and under no condition uniforms above the knee would be tolerated.
The use of mobile phones during school or college hours would also not be allowed.
The student bodies including All Manipur Students Union, Democratic Students Alliance of Manipur and Manipur Students Federation formed a coordination committee to launch the drive, a joint statement said here.
Sale of intoxicating substances at academic institutions would also be banned, the statement said.
In 2001, Manipuri rebel group KYKL, fighting for an independent homeland for the predominantly Hindu Metei community, had warned that women of the state who do not wear the traditional sarongs called `Phaneks` could face a death penalty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’