GJM to take part in local body polls
Darjeeling: In a climb-down from its
earlier stand, the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha has decided to hold
municipal and panchayat elections before setting up of the
Gorkha Regional Authority.
"We are ready to go for the local body elections if it
is held within the next one and a half months," GJM media
secretary Harka bahadur Chetri told reporters at Bagdogra
The West Bengal government had expressed the need for
local body elections in the Darjeeling hills first before
taking up the matter of setting up an interim authority.
Chetri said that panchayat and municipality poll results
would decide the ratio of political representation in the
However, Chetri was doubtful if the state government
would be able to conduct the poll in time, as the civic body
election was a state subject.
GJM president Bimal Gurung in a press conference in
Darjeeling said his party was hopeful about the formation of
an interior council soon.
"We have discussed the matter in detail with political
leaders in New Delhi," he said.
The state`s urban development minister Ashok Bhattacharya
said in Siliguri that the matter would be discussed in the
next tripartite meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal