GNLA attacks police convoy in Meghalaya
Shillong: Suspected Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) militants on Tuesday attacked a police convoy by blasting a powerful IED on a bridge near Chisobibra village in East Garo Hills district of Meghalaya, police said.
None was injured, but some vehicles of the convoy were damaged in the blast, police said.
The militants attacked the convoy of Meghalaya police commandos when it was moving to Williamnagar at about 10 am.
Police recovered batteries and a long copper wire used in detonating the IED from the blast site.
A combing operation has already begun in the area to flush out the insurgents.
Police suspected Jimmy Momin, senior area commander of GNLA, was active behind the attack.
GNLA Chairman Champion Sangma is currently serving a three-year jail term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption