GNLA chief charged with waging war against India
Shillong: A local court in Meghalaya on Thursday charged the tribal militant leader Champion R Sangma for waging war against India by forming the outlawed Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA).
The Court of Chief Judicial Magistrate Baphindalin Giri while pronouncing the charges against Sangma said that trial would begin soon and fixed November 22 as the next date of hearing.
Champion was charged under Section 121 IPC for founding an organisation which is waging war against the nation, Giri said.
"For conspiring, abetment... Incites, directs or knowingly facilitates the GNLA causing terror acts and other unlawful activities, you are charge Under Section 18, 16 and 38 (i) and (ii)," she added.
Champion R Sangma, former deputy superintendent of Police turned-rogue was arrested on July 30 from the International border, hours after he was pushed back by Bangladesh authorities.
Ten cases have been filed against the arrested Garo militant chief, police said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way