GNLA militant apprehended in Shillong
Shillong: The Border Security Forces apprehended a hardcore cadre of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) militant group from a local market in West Garo Hills district on Tuesday, officials said.
Acting on a tip-off, the cadre, identified as Konan Sangma of Chengpara village was apprehended from Purakhasi market at around 1:30 PM, they said.
BSF seized a 7.65 mm USA-made pistol, two magazines and 9 RDS from his possession.
Preliminary investigation revealed that Konan had joined the group last year. He received training in the jungles of East Garo Hills district, BSF officials said.
The Centre had declared the GNLA an outlawed organisation in January for criminal activities like intimidation, kidnapping, extorting and killing of civilians and security personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender