GNLA militants abduct Meghalaya MLA`s brother
Shillong: Suspected Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) militants have allegedly abducted kin of an MLA in Meghalaya, police said today.
Security forces have launched a search for Baghmara MLA Samuel Sangma`s younger brother Naga M Sangma, who was allegedly kidnapped by armed militants last evening from his Gasuapara residence near the international border with Bangladesh, Western Range IG H Nongpluh told PTI.
"We have confirmed the abduction of Baghmara MLA`s younger brother," he said, adding that, preliminary investigation revealed involvement of four heavily-armed GNLA militants in the act.
State police have also intimated the Border Security Forces at the Bangladesh border to thwart any attempt of Naga being taken to the neighbouring country, Nongpluh said.
Naga`s family members, however, have not received any extortion demand from any outfit, police, who suspected that the abduction was made due to non-payment of the militant`s share from the coal and timber export business, said.
Incidentally, the MLA is a coal baron and a timber merchant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?