GNLA militants attack jail, kill assistant jailer
Shillong: Heavily-armed Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) militants today stormed Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills district jail on Saturday killing an Assistant Jailer and critically injuring a warder, officials said.
The incident took place at around 9 pm when more than two militants entered the district jail and opened fire from a close range in which Assistant Jailer Neil Warjri died on the spot while warden Sarai Singh Thabah was critically injured, East Garo Hills district Deputy Commissioner Vijay Mantri told PTI.
No under-trial prisoner, however, could escape from the jail premises.
"It was not an attempt for a jail break," state police chief Kulbir Kishan said.
He said the district Superintendent of Police and the local authorities are at the spot to verify the reason for the daring act committed by the outlawed organisation, adding the police are on the job to identify the culprits.
GNLA, outlawed by the Centre in January last year, is known to have forged an operational alliance for procuring arms and ammunition with ULFA and NDFB to unleash a reign of terror in five districts of Garo Hills region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!