GNLA militants attack jail, kill assistant jailer
Shillong: Heavily-armed Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) militants today stormed Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills district jail on Saturday killing an Assistant Jailer and critically injuring a warder, officials said.
The incident took place at around 9 pm when more than two militants entered the district jail and opened fire from a close range in which Assistant Jailer Neil Warjri died on the spot while warden Sarai Singh Thabah was critically injured, East Garo Hills district Deputy Commissioner Vijay Mantri told PTI.
No under-trial prisoner, however, could escape from the jail premises.
"It was not an attempt for a jail break," state police chief Kulbir Kishan said.
He said the district Superintendent of Police and the local authorities are at the spot to verify the reason for the daring act committed by the outlawed organisation, adding the police are on the job to identify the culprits.
GNLA, outlawed by the Centre in January last year, is known to have forged an operational alliance for procuring arms and ammunition with ULFA and NDFB to unleash a reign of terror in five districts of Garo Hills region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read