GNLA militants attack jail, kill assistant jailer
Shillong: Heavily-armed Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) militants today stormed Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills district jail on Saturday killing an Assistant Jailer and critically injuring a warder, officials said.
The incident took place at around 9 pm when more than two militants entered the district jail and opened fire from a close range in which Assistant Jailer Neil Warjri died on the spot while warden Sarai Singh Thabah was critically injured, East Garo Hills district Deputy Commissioner Vijay Mantri told PTI.
No under-trial prisoner, however, could escape from the jail premises.
"It was not an attempt for a jail break," state police chief Kulbir Kishan said.
He said the district Superintendent of Police and the local authorities are at the spot to verify the reason for the daring act committed by the outlawed organisation, adding the police are on the job to identify the culprits.
GNLA, outlawed by the Centre in January last year, is known to have forged an operational alliance for procuring arms and ammunition with ULFA and NDFB to unleash a reign of terror in five districts of Garo Hills region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP