GNLA offers talks with govt
Shillong: Jailed chairman of the banned Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) militants in Meghalaya, Champion R Sangma, has expressed desire for dialogue with the Government to end bloodshed in the militant-hit Garo Hills region in the state.
"We are ready for peace and want the Government to consider this as it will ensure lasting peace in the Garo Hills region," Sangma told a news agency while being produced in a local court here on Tuesday.
He said the constitution of the GNLA does not provide that the group brokers peace with the Government of India and with the state government without him being part of the process.
The statement of the chairman assumes significance in the wake of the GNLA self-styled `commander-in-chief` Sohan D Shira statement expressing the outfit`s willingness to hold peace talks, provided the government released its arrested chairman.
"The GNLA wanted peace not because it was afraid of further military action against it but because of the sentiments of the people of the Garo Hills," Political Affairs Secretary Bikdot N Marak said.
A home department official however said the government was yet to receive any written document from the outfit, while in a response to Governor Dr KK Paul`s invite to the outfit to seriously consider `the offer of dialogue`, the GNLA leadership has appointed `brokers` to talk to the government.
The outfit has appointed two prominent church leaders from Garo Hills - a senior catholic priest and a priest of the Garo Baptist Church - besides a lawyer to broker dialogue for peace on their behalf.
Advocate Sujit Dey, the chairman`s lawyer is likely to be member of the `brokers` besides few other prominent persons from the Garo Hills region and a journalist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre