Gogoi clarifies on asset declaration
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister, Tarun Gogoi on Tuesday clarified that the valuation of his assets was made according to the prevailing market rates as per the recommendation of the Election Commission.
Talking to reporters at the sidelines of a government function here, the chief minister denied media reports that he had depreciated the value of the plot of land he owned in the city and one in New Delhi.
"The value was given in 2006 at the then market value of the plots and hence there is no chance of any distortion", Gogoi said.
The chief minister in the official website had shown that he owned a land at Beltola worth Rs 7.5 lakh and another at Ajanta Path worth Rs 20.37 lakh while his flat at Vasant Kunj in New Delhi costs Rs 18 lakh.
Referring to the demand of opposition leader and former chief minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta about declaration of assests of the relatives of the ministers, Gogoi said he would issue a directive very soon to that effect.
"The opposition is trying to make the so called large scale corruption issue a poll plank. I want to ask them that if corruption was there than how come our tax collection has increased to a large extent", he asked.
On the ongoing updating of the National Registrar of Citizen (NRC), Gogoi said the process would be made simpler and discussions if necessary would be held with the All Assam Students Union (AASU) and All Assam Minority Students Union (AAMSU).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming