Gogoi clarifies on asset declaration
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister, Tarun Gogoi on Tuesday clarified that the valuation of his assets was made according to the prevailing market rates as per the recommendation of the Election Commission.
Talking to reporters at the sidelines of a government function here, the chief minister denied media reports that he had depreciated the value of the plot of land he owned in the city and one in New Delhi.
"The value was given in 2006 at the then market value of the plots and hence there is no chance of any distortion", Gogoi said.
The chief minister in the official website had shown that he owned a land at Beltola worth Rs 7.5 lakh and another at Ajanta Path worth Rs 20.37 lakh while his flat at Vasant Kunj in New Delhi costs Rs 18 lakh.
Referring to the demand of opposition leader and former chief minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta about declaration of assests of the relatives of the ministers, Gogoi said he would issue a directive very soon to that effect.
"The opposition is trying to make the so called large scale corruption issue a poll plank. I want to ask them that if corruption was there than how come our tax collection has increased to a large extent", he asked.
On the ongoing updating of the National Registrar of Citizen (NRC), Gogoi said the process would be made simpler and discussions if necessary would be held with the All Assam Students Union (AASU) and All Assam Minority Students Union (AAMSU).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth