Gogoi regrets cutting cake decorated like the National Flag
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi
has regretted cutting a cake decorated like the National
Tricolour at a function at the Raj Bhawan here during the
Republic Day celebrations.
Gogoi`s reaction came in the wake of reports published
in a section of the media and comments from certain quarters
that in cutting such a cake he had shown disrespect to the
An official release from the CM`s office quoting Gogoi
said, "The question of respect or dishonour to the national
flag does not arise. The very act was unintentional and not to
show any kind of disrespect or dishonour to the national
Local TV channels had aired a few days after Republic
Day visuals of Gogoi and governor J B Patnaik cutting a cake
decorated like the national flag in the presence of senior
bureaucrats, police and army officials.
Following it, Opposition parties in the state accused
Gogoi of showing disrespect to the Tricolour.
There was, however, no reaction from the Raj Bhavan to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'