Gogoi regrets cutting cake decorated like the National Flag
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi
has regretted cutting a cake decorated like the National
Tricolour at a function at the Raj Bhawan here during the
Republic Day celebrations.
Gogoi`s reaction came in the wake of reports published
in a section of the media and comments from certain quarters
that in cutting such a cake he had shown disrespect to the
An official release from the CM`s office quoting Gogoi
said, "The question of respect or dishonour to the national
flag does not arise. The very act was unintentional and not to
show any kind of disrespect or dishonour to the national
Local TV channels had aired a few days after Republic
Day visuals of Gogoi and governor J B Patnaik cutting a cake
decorated like the national flag in the presence of senior
bureaucrats, police and army officials.
Following it, Opposition parties in the state accused
Gogoi of showing disrespect to the Tricolour.
There was, however, no reaction from the Raj Bhavan to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA