Gorkha leaders seek Mizoram CM`s support
Aizawl: A team of Gorkha leaders has sought the support of Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla on the issue of a separate Gorkhaland in West Bengal, an official release said here on Thursday.
Siliguri-based Bharatiya Gorkha Parisangh (Federation of Indian Gorkha) leaders met the Chief Minister here Wednesday, the statement said.
The five-member team led by Parisangh secretary general Sukhman Moktam urged Lal Thanhawla to support their demand for a separate Gorkhaland in Darjeeling, it said.
"The Gorkha leaders requested the Mizoram Chief Minister to take up the issue with the central government at the earliest to form Gorkhaland."
On July 18 last year, a tripartite agreement was signed between the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha and the West Bengal and central governments to set up a new autonomous, elected Gorkhaland Territorial Administration, a hill council armed with more powers than its predecessor, the Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council (DGHC).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday