Gorkhaland agitation has made Sikkim vulnerable: Chamling
Gangtok: Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Kumar
Chamling on Friday said the development activities in the state
have derailed due to frequent blockades of its sole road link
with the rest of country since 1986 in the wake of intensified
"Sikkim has become a vulnerable state. We should not be
held hostage (to Gorkhaland agitation) anymore," he said.
Sikkim`s development activities have derailed due to
frequent blockade of the National Highway 31A since 1986 with
intensified agitation for Gorkhaland, Chamling told the
inaugural summit of the North-East MP Forum (NEMPF) here.
The greatest challenge to Sikkim was to keep the
NH 31A open to secure basic requirements like food security,
Chamling asked the MPs of the North-East to take up the
matter to ensure that the "lifeline remained open around the
He also said that the state has a sensitive location as
it shares its border with China, Nepal and Bhutan.
Chamling had raised serious concerns about the
vulnerability of the state vis-a-vis political agitation in
Darjeeling hills at a meeting on internal security at New
Delhi on February 7 chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued