Governor`s speech disrupted in Assam assembly
Guwahati: Assam assembly on Tuesday witnessed
uproar with the opposition led by the Asom Gana Parishad (AGP)
disrupting the governor`s speech on the opening day of the
Minutes after Governor Janaki Ballav Patnaik began his
address, opposition members led by former Chief Minister,
Prafulla Kumar Mahanta and AGP President Chandra Mohan
Patowary disrupted his speech.
They rushed to the well raising slogans and displaying
placards against the alleged corruption in the Tarun Gogoi-led
Demanding the resignation of Gogoi, the opposition
members urged the speaker to adjourn the rest of the day`s
proceedings to discuss corruption, price rise as well as law
and order issues in the state.
As Speaker Tanka Bahadur Rai announced that the
governor`s speech was taken as `read`, opposition legislators
accused him of being party to the government and protecting
the chief minister.
Even as the speaker went on with the proceedings of
the house, the opposition continued to protest from the well.
Nothing could be heard in the din as both the opposition and
treasury bench exchanged loud slogans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information