Govt calls all-party meeting in Manipur
Imphal: The Congress-led Manipur government has called an all-party meeting to discuss the increasing agitation by various social organisations demanding implementation of inner line permit system (ILP) in the state, official sources said Monday.
The decision to call the meeting "immediately" was taken last evening at a high-level meet chaired by Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh and attended by senior cabinet ministers and senior high officials, including Chief Secretary P C Lawmkunga, sources said.
Official reports said various social organisations under the aegis of Joint Action Committee on Inner Line Permit System (JACILPS) have been organising rallies, sit-in protests and demonstrations in the past few weeks demanding implementation of the ILP system to restrict the entry of non-Manipuris in the state.
A spokesman of the JACILPS said the committee was not against the entry of fellow compatriots and citizens from other parts of the country. But without the ILP system, the indigenous and original Manipuris would lose their identity, he added.
He said the number of outsiders who have entered the state over the last three decades have outnumbered the total population in five hill districts of the state.
He said various social organisations, including women`s organisations under the leadership of the JACILPS, would continue their agitation till their demand was met.
Reports from districts said womenfolk, students and volunteers of different organisations have been taking out rallies and demonstrations to press the government for implementation of the ILP system which is now in force in Meghalaya, Nagaland, Mizoram and Arunachal Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!