Govt extends suspension of ops pact with NDFB
New Delhi: To facilitate the ongoing peace
process, the government has decided to extend the suspension
of operations agreement with Assam`s insurgent group NDFB for
six more months till June 30.
"It has been mutually agreed with National Democratic
Front of Boroland-Progressive (NDFB-P) to extend suspension of
operations (SoO) for a further period of six months up to June
30, 2012," a Home Ministry release said.
The SoO agreement between Central Government, Government
of Assam and NDFB was signed first time on May 24, 2005 and is
in operation since June 1, 2005.
In view of the involvement of some NDFB cadres in serial
blasts in Assam, which took place on October 30, 2010, the
pact was revised on January 6, 2009. This is now valid upto
June 30, 2012.
NDFB, a militant outfit active in lower Assam,
particularly in Bodo dominated area, was indulging in
violence, demanding sovereignty of Bodo area in Assam.
A Joint Monitoring Group (JMG), headed by Joint Secretary
(North East), Ministry of Home Affairs, had been constituted
to review the implementation of Agreed Ground Rules.
Meanwhile, tripartite talks on the demands of NDFB are
continuing. P C Haldar, a former Director of Intelligence
Bureau, has been appointed as representative of the Government
of India to negotiate with the outfit. The last tripartite
meeting with the outfit was held on December 4, 2011 to
finalise a Memorandum of Settlement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir