Govt, NSCN-IM sincere in resolving Naga issue: Muivah
Dimapur: Both Centre and NSCN-IM were
sincere towards finding a negotiated settlement of the vexed
Naga problem, the group`s general secretary Th Muivah said
Muivah, who arrived at Dimapur to hold consultations
with various Naga groups, said "Time and again we have
clarified our position based on historical rights of the Nagas
to the government of India and from our side no stone will be
left unturned to find an honourable settlement to the
decades-old Naga political conflict."
Muivah arrived in New Delhi on February 27 from
Amsterdam and held a series of parleys with Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram and Centre`s
new interlocutor R S Pandey during the past fortnight.
He said both Singh and Chidambaram were found to be
sincere and interested to resolve the Naga problem.
Muivah would consult with Naga civil society groups,
tribal councils, NGOs, church leaders during his stay at Camp
Hebron, the NSCN-IM headquarters about 35 km south of this
financial capital of Nagaland.
During his meeting with the central representatives he
was also accompanied by senior members of the group, which
signed a ceasefire with the Centre in 1997.
The Centre had already rejected NSCN-IM`s demand of
sovereignty and integration of all Naga-inhabited areas of the
region to a single administrative set up, but said it was
ready to offer the maximum possible autonomy to the Nagas even
by amending the constitution, if required, to find a permanent
solution to the vexed problem.
In Nagaland, state government, political parties,
civil society groups, tribal councils have pitched for
inclusion of all Naga underground groups in the peace process
explaining no single group has the mandate of the Naga people.
- IPL 2016: Unsold at auction, Hashim Amla signed by Kings XI Punjab as replacement for injured Shaun Marsh
- NEET 2016: 2nd phase to be held on July 24; Centre and CBSE should start preparations, says Supreme Court
- 12 Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorists detained as Delhi Police foils major terror plot, seizes explosives
- Spectacular view of the Bahamas from space – See pic!
- Kerala law student rape and murder: Oommen Chandy to meet family, promises help