Govt trying to bring insurgents to negotiation table: Assam CM
Guwahati: The peace talks process with
the ULFA and other insurgent outfits was progressing well with
efforts on to bring the anti-talk and pro-talk factions of the
NDFB to the negotiation table, Assam Chief Minister Tarun
Gogoi said here on Wednesday.
"The progress of the peace talks process with the ULFA
and other insurgent outfits is good. The Bodo National
Conference comprising all the Bodo organisations met me
yesterday and told me they are trying to bring the NDFB
anti-talk faction for talks", Gogoi told reporters here.
"If the BNC can bring them (NDFB-AT) for discussions,
then there will be peace. There is no formal word from the
NDFB chairman Ranjan Daimary but his sister Anjali Daimary was
present in the meeting yesterday", he said.
To queries if the government would not object to the
release of the top NDFB (AT) leaders from jail as in the case
of ULFA, he said, "we make no distinction among the various
underground outfits. Same conditions will apply to all and no
discrimination", Gogoi said.
"The same principles as in the case of ULFA would
apply to the NDFB-AT. Insurgency is the number one problem of
Assam, but that problem today is on way to resolution", the
chief minister said.
"Assam`s situation is slowly improving due to the
Congress government`s sincerity to bring the insurgents to the
mainstream. As (former AGP chief minister) Prafulla Kumar
Mahanta could could not solve the militancy problem, he now
demands my resignation for solving the issue", he asserted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!