Grenade hurled at Meghalaya minister`s house
Shillong: Suspected Garo rebels Saturday lobbed a powerful grenade at the private house of Meghalaya Community and Rural Development Minister Saleng A. Sangma in the state`s West Garo Hills district, police said. No injuries were reported but the house was damaged.
The minister was not present in the house at Ringreygittim in district headquarters Tura at the time of attack (7 p.m.)
"Suspected GNLA (Garo National Liberation Army) rebels lobbed a Chinese grenade at the private residence of the minister, damaging a portion of the house," Meghalaya Police Chief Kulbir Krishan told IANS.
Sangma, who is in Shillong, told IANS that none of his family members who were present in the house were injured in the attack.
"We are investigating the incident and a man-hunt is on to arrest the perpetrators," Krishan said.
Intelligence officials said the rebel who lobbed the grenade has been identified.
This was the second attempt of the outlawed GNLA to target Sangma.
On Nov 2, the GNLA rebels laid an improvised explosive devices in Nalnapara-Kherapara stretch of the road to target Sangma. However, police averted the possible blast.
Police said they will further review Sangma`s security.
The GNLA, fighting for a separate Garoland, is headed by Champion R. Sangma, a former deputy superintendent of police who deserted and floated the GNLA in November 2009. He is currently in police custody.
The outfit, which has been outlawed by the government, forged operational alliances with the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) and the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB), which provided it access to sophisticated arms and ammunition.
GNLA rebels, who number around 100, unleashed terror in three impoverished districts of Garo Hills in the last one year and killed over 35 people, including security personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam