Grenades at Manipur school complexes, four seized
Imphal: Suspected militants lobbed powerful grenades at two educational institutions in Manipur`s Thoubal and Imphal West districts, but no one was injured as the ammunitions failed to explode, police said on Sunday.
A powerful grenade was hurled at Comet English School at Changangei area at Airport road in Imphal West district yesterday, sources said.
Following the incident, enraged students, teachers and local residents launched a sit-in at the local community hall.
"Do not disturb the educational institute", "Make education a free zone", read the placards put up at the sit-in site last evening, official reports said.
Principal of the school Kh Ibomcha told reporters that yesterday`s hurling of explosives was the third such incident in past two months in which suspected militants had lobbed grenade at the school complex.
"We did not receive any monetary demand from any militant outfit," said Ibomcha while expressing the need to have a free academic atmosphere for students` bright future.
In another incident on Saturday in Thoubal district, suspected militants lobbed a powerful grenade at the complex of Progressive School at Wangjing area, sources said.
Both the grenades were later exploded at a safer place by bomb experts, they added.
Police said they would investigate whether the incident was connected with monetary demand from militants.
In another insurgency-related incident, commandos and personnel of 15th Assam Rifles battalion arrested a suspected militant of Kanglei Yawol Kann Lup (KYKL) identified as Sanabam Boicha (21) from Yairipok area, sources said, adding that four powerful grenades were seized from him.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India