Grenades at school complexes, 4 grenades seized in Manipur
Imphal: Suspected militants lobbed powerful grenades at two educational institutions in Manipur`s Thoubal and Imphal West districts, but no one was injured as the ammunitions failed to explode, police said on Sunday.
A powerful grenade was hurled at Comet English School at Changangei area at Airport road in Imphal West district yesterday, sources said.
Following the incident, enraged students, teachers and local residents launched a sit-in at the local community hall.
"Do not disturb the educational institute", "Make education a free zone", read the placards put up at the sit-in site last evening, official reports said.
Principal of the school Kh Ibomcha told reporters that yesterday`s hurling of explosives was the third such incident in past two months in which suspected militants had lobbed grenade at the school complex.
"We did not receive any monetary demand from any militant outfit," said Ibomcha while expressing the need to have a free academic atmosphere for students` bright future.
In another incident yesterday in Thoubal district, suspected militants lobbed a powerful grenade at the complex of Progressive School at Wangjing area, sources said.
Both the grenades were later exploded at a safer place by bomb experts, they added.
Police said they would investigate whether the incident was connected with monetary demand from militants.
In another insurgency-related incident, commandos and personnel of 15th Assam Rifles battalion arrested a suspected militant of Kanglei Yawol Kann Lup (KYKL) identified as Sanabam Boicha (21) from Yairipok area, sources said, adding that four powerful grenades were seized from him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp