Grenades at school complexes, 4 grenades seized in Manipur
Imphal: Suspected militants lobbed powerful grenades at two educational institutions in Manipur`s Thoubal and Imphal West districts, but no one was injured as the ammunitions failed to explode, police said on Sunday.
A powerful grenade was hurled at Comet English School at Changangei area at Airport road in Imphal West district yesterday, sources said.
Following the incident, enraged students, teachers and local residents launched a sit-in at the local community hall.
"Do not disturb the educational institute", "Make education a free zone", read the placards put up at the sit-in site last evening, official reports said.
Principal of the school Kh Ibomcha told reporters that yesterday`s hurling of explosives was the third such incident in past two months in which suspected militants had lobbed grenade at the school complex.
"We did not receive any monetary demand from any militant outfit," said Ibomcha while expressing the need to have a free academic atmosphere for students` bright future.
In another incident yesterday in Thoubal district, suspected militants lobbed a powerful grenade at the complex of Progressive School at Wangjing area, sources said.
Both the grenades were later exploded at a safer place by bomb experts, they added.
Police said they would investigate whether the incident was connected with monetary demand from militants.
In another insurgency-related incident, commandos and personnel of 15th Assam Rifles battalion arrested a suspected militant of Kanglei Yawol Kann Lup (KYKL) identified as Sanabam Boicha (21) from Yairipok area, sources said, adding that four powerful grenades were seized from him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP