Gunfight between Garo rebels, security forces
Shillong: A gunfight, lasting an hour, broke out between security forces and rebels of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) in Meghalaya`s South Garo Hills district Sunday, police said.
The exchange of fire took place at 10.30 am in Goreng village on the border area between South Garo Hills and West Khasi Hills districts, when security forces came under fire from four GNLA rebels hiding there.
"The encounter lasted for an hour and the militants retreated back to the jungles after intensive firing from security forces," a police official said on phone from Baghmara, the district headquarters of South Garo Hills district, about 400 km from Shillong.
However, an amount of Rs. 50,000 left behind by the GNLA rebels was recovered from the site.
Though, there were no casualties on the security forces` side, police are yet to confirm if any of the rebels were injured.
Security forces have launched a combing operation in the area.
Suspected GNLA militants Wednesday killed two migrant coal miners and attacked a petrol pump in South Garo Hills district to create fear in the coalmine areas and to extort money.
The GNLA, fighting for a sovereign `Garoland` in western Meghalaya, had earlier slapped extortion demands ranging from Rs.5 lakh to Rs.1 crore on petrol pump owners, coal dealers and businessmen in the coal-rich districts of Garo Hills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3