Gunfight between militant factions in Indo-Myanmar border
Imphal: A suspected militant of National Socialist Council of Nagaland, Isac Muivah faction (NSCN-IM), was killed during a fierce gunfight with a rival group in Ukhrul district of Manipur bordering Myanmar.
According to reports from the district, a large number of suspected NSCN-IM cadre attacked the community hall of Wangli village where some members of the rival group were taking rest yesterday.
In the ensuing gunfight that lasted several hours, a Naga militant was killed while two injured members of the rival group were taken away to an unknown place by the suspected NSCN-IM militants, the reports said.
Both the groups escaped to nearby thick jungles after the encounter.
Police sources at Kasom Khullen sub-division under which Wangli, about 112 km from here, falls said they would investigate whether the militants had infiltrated from Myanmar recently or not.
They said militants of several parties were actively operating at the Indo-Myanmar border areas of Ukhrul and Chandel districts in Manipur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Magnitude 5.5 quake hits near Chile's copper mining area, says USGS
- Colombia to get UN peace monitors, possible referendum
- Brexit: Here are answers to 5 key questions on what will happen next in Britain's relations with European Union
- Three federal police officials killed in Mexico
- Eight killed, seven injured after jeep falls into deep gorge in Uttarakhand's Tehri Garhwal