Guv appeals to militants to lay down arms in Manip
Imphal: Manipur Governor Gurbachan Jagat Wednesday appealed to militants operating in the state to shun violence and participate in the peace process so that development work could be speeded up.
Addressing the state assembly, the governor said three insurgent groups -- United Revolutionary Front (URF), Kangleipak Communist Party-Lamphel (KCP-L) and Kanglei Yawol Kann Lup--Military Defence Force (KYKL-MDF) -- have entered into agreements with the union and state governments.
He said that 197 cadres of these outfits `joined the home-coming ceremony` with 138 weapons recently.
The governor said the state government with the union government has signed the extension of suspension of operations (SOO) agreement with Kuki outfit, United People`s Front (UPF) and offered to sign a similar agreement with another Kuki outfit, Kuki National Organisation(KNO).
Jagat appealed to the KNO to come forward and sign the SOO agreement along the lines of UPF and asked the social Kuki organisation, Kuki State Demand Committee (KSDC), demanding a separate Kukiland, to desist from calling frequent bandhs and blockades which affected the common man.
Official sources said peace talks with URF, KYKL-MDF AND KCP-L would begin soon since the three had signed agreements with the government under which the forces would suspend operations against them.
They said both central and state government forces had stopped operations against UPF since it signed the agreement with the government some years ago. Talks for a settlement with the outfit, demanding creation of Kukiland, has already begun.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Red Corridor to be redrawn - Know how many districts will be taken off Naxalite–Maoist insurgency list
- SC issues notice to Vijay Mallya for not disclosing assets
- Parliament video: Speaker forms 9-member probe panel, asks Bhagwant Mann not to attend House
- Impressed with Narendra Modi; India is in safe hands under his government - Praises by RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat
- ‘Wanted’ duo Salman Khan – Prabhudheva to team up again?