Guv appeals to militants to lay down arms in Manip
Imphal: Manipur Governor Gurbachan Jagat Wednesday appealed to militants operating in the state to shun violence and participate in the peace process so that development work could be speeded up.
Addressing the state assembly, the governor said three insurgent groups -- United Revolutionary Front (URF), Kangleipak Communist Party-Lamphel (KCP-L) and Kanglei Yawol Kann Lup--Military Defence Force (KYKL-MDF) -- have entered into agreements with the union and state governments.
He said that 197 cadres of these outfits `joined the home-coming ceremony` with 138 weapons recently.
The governor said the state government with the union government has signed the extension of suspension of operations (SOO) agreement with Kuki outfit, United People`s Front (UPF) and offered to sign a similar agreement with another Kuki outfit, Kuki National Organisation(KNO).
Jagat appealed to the KNO to come forward and sign the SOO agreement along the lines of UPF and asked the social Kuki organisation, Kuki State Demand Committee (KSDC), demanding a separate Kukiland, to desist from calling frequent bandhs and blockades which affected the common man.
Official sources said peace talks with URF, KYKL-MDF AND KCP-L would begin soon since the three had signed agreements with the government under which the forces would suspend operations against them.
They said both central and state government forces had stopped operations against UPF since it signed the agreement with the government some years ago. Talks for a settlement with the outfit, demanding creation of Kukiland, has already begun.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly