Hawkers strike: Newspapers fail to hit stands
Imphal: Newspapers in Manipur failed to hit the stands on Wednesday due to non-publication of the dailies in response to a strike call given by the All Manipur Sales and Distributers`Association (AMSDA) in protest against the looting and beating of a newspaper hawker allegedly by police personnel, sources in the media houses said.
Media houses had been informed by the All Manipur Working Journalists` Union (AMWJU) that newspaper salespersons would stop working today in protest against the looting of Rs 17,000 from paper salesman N Ranbir (34) and beating him up by police personnel at Langthabal area in Imphal West district on July 26 last.
The incident had occured while Ranbir was returning home.
A spokesman of the AMSDA said that they had submitted a memorandum to state home minister Gaikhangam who assured the AMSDA that proper investigation would be done.
He said in spite of the assurance given to them, the government had not done any concrete thing so far.Further course of action would be decided in consultation with the AMWJU.
Ranbir was halted at gunpoint by persons wearing police uniform at Langthabal area, taken to a nearby isolated place and beaten up before taking the money, wrist watch and some personal belongings, the AMSDA spokesman said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India