HC grants bail to Garo rebel group chief
Shillong: The Gauhati High Court on Friday granted bail to Champion Sangma, `chairman` of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA), a tribal terrorist group organisation in Meghalaya after the state failed to file charge sheet against him.
The Shillong Bench of the Gauhati High Court granted bail in two cases out of three, for those where FIRs were lodged in West Khasi Hills district headquarters, Nongstoin.
Champion’s wife A N Marak had moved for bail in the High Court on December 17 last year after the police failed to file a chargesheet against the accused taking into account the fact that chargesheet should have to be completed within 90 days.
A local court in the state had filed a chargesheet against Champion for waging war against the country by forming the outlawed Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) outfit in November 8 last year.
After securing bail into two cases, the terrorist organisation leader also announced to contest in the ensuing assembly elections slated for February 23.
Champion was earlier charged under Section 121 IPC for founding an organisation which is waging war against the nation.
The GNLA has been considered an outlawed organisation by the Centre in January last year and have been known to have forged an operational alliance for procuring arms and ammunition with the ULFA and the NDFB enabling the outfit to unleash a reign of terror in Garo Hills region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof