HC reserves ruling on municipal polls in Nagaland
Kohima: The Gauhati High Court has reserved its ruling on a review petition filed by the Nagaland government against a directive of the Kohima bench of the court which had ordered the government to hold municipal polls with 33 per cent women reservation within a month.
A statement, issued by the Joint Action Committee on Women Reservation (JACWR), said that the high court reserved its order after a three-hour long hearing on June 27.
The statement said senior counsel of Supreme Court and Director, Human Rights Law Network(HRLN) Colin Gonsalves represented the Naga women assisted by advocates.
Representatives of various Naga women organisations were also present during the court hearing.
Disposing a petition filed by JACWR, the Kohima bench in its January ruling had asked the state
government to conduct long pending elections to urban local bodies with provision of women quota.
In March, the Nagaland Assembly had passed a resolution deferring the poll for six months after many tribal organisations petitioned before the government that the seat reservations for women were "against Naga customs."
But various women`s organisations, led by Naga Mothers` Association (NMA), did not agree with the resolution.
Meanwhile, the JACWR took strong exception to the state government`s recent statement, issued through the chief secretary, on the June 19 incident in the Gauhati High Court premises.
The Naga women alleged that the advocate general had made "derogatory remarks" against the women outside the court in presence of others on June 19.
The JACWR, in a statement here, said it was shocked to see the government`s statement where it defended the action of the advocate general.
The Committee demanded immediate intervention from Nagaland Women`s Commission into the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof