HC upolds death sentence to insurgent
The Gauhati High Court has upheld the death sentence awarded by a lower court to an insurgent involved in the killing of 15 people at Jarulbachai village in 1997.
A group of about 35 insurgents of the outlawed National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT) raided the Jarulbachai village in West Tripura district at about 11 PM on February 11, 1997, and set afire many huts of the village.
When the villagers came out of their blazing huts, the ultras opened indiscriminate firing from automatic weapons killing 15 people and injuring four others.
Later, the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) filed a charge sheet against 16 insurgents. However, 11 insurgents were still absconding.
Additional and Session Judge of West Tripura district released three of the rest five insurgents unconditionally as no evidence was found against them.
Meanwhile, the two accused ? Ashok Debbarma and Gandhi Debbarma - managed to flee from police custody before the verdict.
The police later arrested Ashok Debbarma, who was sentenced to death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’