Heavy rains trigger landslides in Arunachal
Itanagar: Heavy rainfall in Arunachal
Pradesh has triggered landslides which have cut off the
communication link of several places and extensively damaged
pipelines supplying drinking water.
Many places within the capital complex near Karsingsa
sinking zone, Lekhi village, A-sector Naharlagun, Papunallah
area have been severely affected by the landslides, official
Almost all the major roads leading to the capital have
been snapped in many areas on the NH 52-A. A bridge at Abotani
Colony in Itanagar was rendered unusable as siltation on the
banks of the stream gave away.
Chief Minister Jarbom Gamlin yesterday took stock of the
situation on the Banderdewa-Itanagar National Highway that was
disrupted at several points following the heavy downpour since
A portion of the road near Lekhi village was totally
washed away resulting in complete halt of traffic movement.
Meanwhile, the Public Health Engineering and Water Supply
department has expressed fear that the residents in the state
capital might face severe drinking water crisis in the next
Official sources said water supply sources at Nyorchi,
Lappu, Lepper and Pot from where the drinking water supply of
Naharlagun and Itanagar is drawn have been snapped. A 300 m
supply line measuring 397 metre near Nyochi has been washed
Restoration might take some time as ascertaining the
extent of damage might take a few days, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees