Heavy rains trigger landslides in Arunachal
Itanagar: Heavy rainfall in Arunachal
Pradesh has triggered landslides which have cut off the
communication link of several places and extensively damaged
pipelines supplying drinking water.
Many places within the capital complex near Karsingsa
sinking zone, Lekhi village, A-sector Naharlagun, Papunallah
area have been severely affected by the landslides, official
Almost all the major roads leading to the capital have
been snapped in many areas on the NH 52-A. A bridge at Abotani
Colony in Itanagar was rendered unusable as siltation on the
banks of the stream gave away.
Chief Minister Jarbom Gamlin yesterday took stock of the
situation on the Banderdewa-Itanagar National Highway that was
disrupted at several points following the heavy downpour since
A portion of the road near Lekhi village was totally
washed away resulting in complete halt of traffic movement.
Meanwhile, the Public Health Engineering and Water Supply
department has expressed fear that the residents in the state
capital might face severe drinking water crisis in the next
Official sources said water supply sources at Nyorchi,
Lappu, Lepper and Pot from where the drinking water supply of
Naharlagun and Itanagar is drawn have been snapped. A 300 m
supply line measuring 397 metre near Nyochi has been washed
Restoration might take some time as ascertaining the
extent of damage might take a few days, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore