High alert in upper Assam
Jorhat: The state government has sounded a high alert in upper Assam following intelligence reports that the Paresh Baruah-led anti-talk ULFA faction may
target Oil India Limited (OIL) and ONGC officials along with politicians during the run-up to Republic Day.
According to intelligence reports, the outfit was likely to make soft targets on OIL and ONGC officials, particularly those hailing from outside the state, official
A message has been sent to all districts in upper Assam two days ago directing them to review the security scenario especially inter-state roads, borders areas, brick kiln, oil installations, railway tracks and all Assam police border outposts have been instructed to make frequent patrolling with security checks.
Police-public meetings in sensitive areas of upper Assam have been scheduled during the run-up to Republic Day.
ONGC`s basin manager of Assam and Assam Arakan basin, Sudhir Kumar Jain, told a news agency that following the message received from the home department they are in constant touch with the central and state governments.
A north-east on-shore security meet was held recently to discuss issues related to safety of officials as there was constant threat but respective state governments were taking regular precautions to avoid any unfortunate incidents, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas
- Flirt with the waves a la Lisa Haydon – Watch video