High alert in upper Assam
Jorhat: The state government has sounded a high alert in upper Assam following intelligence reports that the Paresh Baruah-led anti-talk ULFA faction may
target Oil India Limited (OIL) and ONGC officials along with politicians during the run-up to Republic Day.
According to intelligence reports, the outfit was likely to make soft targets on OIL and ONGC officials, particularly those hailing from outside the state, official
A message has been sent to all districts in upper Assam two days ago directing them to review the security scenario especially inter-state roads, borders areas, brick kiln, oil installations, railway tracks and all Assam police border outposts have been instructed to make frequent patrolling with security checks.
Police-public meetings in sensitive areas of upper Assam have been scheduled during the run-up to Republic Day.
ONGC`s basin manager of Assam and Assam Arakan basin, Sudhir Kumar Jain, told a news agency that following the message received from the home department they are in constant touch with the central and state governments.
A north-east on-shore security meet was held recently to discuss issues related to safety of officials as there was constant threat but respective state governments were taking regular precautions to avoid any unfortunate incidents, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi