High alert sounded in Meghalaya
Shillong: Meghalaya has been put under high alert in line with the advisory issued to all North Eastern states by the Centre following Hyderabad terror attack which left 16 dead and 117 injured, official sources said on Monday.
"We have taken necessary safety measures in line with the direction from the Home Ministry we received last week," state Inspector General of Police GHP Raju told a news agency.
The Home Ministry has alerted all major cities and town all over north eastern states seeking police high alert especially in crowded areas, the IGP said.
In line with the direction, Raju said the capital city and Tura town have especially been put under high alert to thwart off any adventurous attempts by anti-social elements to create terror-like situation.
He said, district police chiefs of 11 districts were directed to intensify patrolling in areas considered vulnerable.
Stating that the need of the hour in major cities and towns in the region is the immediate installation of CCTVs, the senior police officer said this could help in tracing culprits during terror events referring to the tracing of the suspect behind Hyderabad terror attack by using CCTV footages.
He police officer also informed that a Rs 2 crore project in the capital the Safe and Secure Shillong envisages putting up CCTV cameras in the state capital and Tura town in the Garo Hills region.
The Border Security Forces in Meghalaya have also been asked to intensify patrolling and to tighten security along the unfenced sectors along the 498 km-long international border with Bangladesh.
"We have been in constant alert along the border we have issued specific order to all our officers and men on duty to remain extra vigil," a senior BSF official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh