High Court lawyers in Manipur stop attending court
New Delhi: Protesting non-availability of
essential commodities in the state, High Court lawyers in
Manipur have stopped attending courts from today and have
asked the Prime Minister to intervene to resolve the economic
Non-availability of essential commodities, specially
petrol and domestic cooking gas, is due to economic blockade
imposed by supporters of NSCN (IM) leader T Muivah on the
highway linking the state to the rest of the country, the High
Court Bar Association claimed.
Demanding the immediate intervention of Prime Minister
Mammohan Singh to resolve the crisis, state HC Bar Association
Secretary N Jotendro Singh said, "Since petrol is not
available, advocates practicing in the High Court are unable
to attend court. They have stopped attending court from
Initially, the lawyers will not attend court for
three days till May 19 and the association would consider
future course of action thereafter, he said over phone
Manipur is simmering following a proposed visit by
Muivah to his home village in Ukhrul district with the state
government opposing it. His supporters, including students
bodies All Naga Students Association Manipur (ANSAM) and
United Naga Council (UNC) have demanded that he must be
allowed to enter the state.
Since April 11, an indefinite economic blockade has
been imposed by various Naga organisations on National Highway
39 and 53.
"Because of the indefinite blockade, the prices of all
(essential) commodities have sky-rocketed...cooking gas is not
available at all..even life saving drugs are no longer
available in the state," the association said in a letter to
the Prime Minister.
Hospitals have stopped conducting operations due to
non-availability of oxygen cylinders, it added.
The association also claimed over 1,000 Manipur-bound
trucks carrying essential commodities were stranded in Assam
as Nagaland government and NSCN (IM) supporters have not
allowed them to pass through Nagaland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre