High Court lawyers in Manipur stop attending court
New Delhi: Protesting non-availability of
essential commodities in the state, High Court lawyers in
Manipur have stopped attending courts from today and have
asked the Prime Minister to intervene to resolve the economic
Non-availability of essential commodities, specially
petrol and domestic cooking gas, is due to economic blockade
imposed by supporters of NSCN (IM) leader T Muivah on the
highway linking the state to the rest of the country, the High
Court Bar Association claimed.
Demanding the immediate intervention of Prime Minister
Mammohan Singh to resolve the crisis, state HC Bar Association
Secretary N Jotendro Singh said, "Since petrol is not
available, advocates practicing in the High Court are unable
to attend court. They have stopped attending court from
Initially, the lawyers will not attend court for
three days till May 19 and the association would consider
future course of action thereafter, he said over phone
Manipur is simmering following a proposed visit by
Muivah to his home village in Ukhrul district with the state
government opposing it. His supporters, including students
bodies All Naga Students Association Manipur (ANSAM) and
United Naga Council (UNC) have demanded that he must be
allowed to enter the state.
Since April 11, an indefinite economic blockade has
been imposed by various Naga organisations on National Highway
39 and 53.
"Because of the indefinite blockade, the prices of all
(essential) commodities have sky-rocketed...cooking gas is not
available at all..even life saving drugs are no longer
available in the state," the association said in a letter to
the Prime Minister.
Hospitals have stopped conducting operations due to
non-availability of oxygen cylinders, it added.
The association also claimed over 1,000 Manipur-bound
trucks carrying essential commodities were stranded in Assam
as Nagaland government and NSCN (IM) supporters have not
allowed them to pass through Nagaland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon