Hill students call general strike in Manipur
Imphal: A hill-based students` union Tuesday called 24-hour general strike in Manipur to press its demand for filling up of the quota, reserved for scheduled tribe candidates in Manipur police department, union sources said.
Vice-president of Kuki Students Union (KSO) Mancha Baite told reporters that the strike began from 5 am today.
The KSO, he said, would also launch an indefinite economic blockade along national highways in Manipur from midnight tomorrow to press for their demand.
474 posts of constables in police department and another 28 posts in Manipur Police Housing Corporation, all reserved for scheduled tribe candidates, were yet to be filled up, he said.
Official reports from the districts said the strike did not affect normal life with shops, markets and business establishements remaining open while transport services were operating as usual except some Kuki-dominated areas.
No untoward incident was reported so far from any part of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu